Derek Arden – Negotiating Podcast
KEY POINTS OF INTERVIEW
Negotiating Podcast – Mr Negotiator talks about Negotiating
Psychological negotiating tactics and you need to watch the body language for the truth.
So best techniques we want to have a competitive edge:
12 steps in my negotiating system which is in my latest book, ‘Win Win‘, – how to get a get a winning result from persuasive negotiations.
Preparation: Where do we think they’re coming from, – where are we coming from – what’s the best position – target position – walk away position that we’ve got. And if we do walk away, what’s the alternative position.
- First Impressions
- Asking good questions – high quality questions.
- Look and Listen, and body language.
- Use head and brainstorming – negotiators frame of mind.
- Reading body language
- Watch for signs of lying
- Negotiating tactics and strategies
- Controlling time
- Deadlines as in Northern Irish negotiations
- Taking a time out to think things through with your team.
- Power of flinching.
- Colombo tactic – just one more thing.
- Influencing skills – work of Robert Cialdini.
- Targeting skills, If we do this for you. What will you do for us?
- Confidence and ready for any curveball
Story Negotiating Meeting in Paris:
£10 million euro transactions We were ready for their delaying tactics